Floyd Mayweather “doesn’t have the motivation” to come out of retirement and challenge the WBO welterweight world champion Manny Pacquiao to a rematch, according to Mayweather Promotions CEO Leonard Ellerbe.
Pacquiao convincingly beat Adrien Broner in Las Vegas on Saturday and issued a come-and-fight-me plea to Mayweather who was sitting ringside at the time.
Mayweather has not fought professionally since his 10th round stoppage victory over the UFC fighter Conor McGregor in 2017.
Since then he has contested an exhibition fight against the Japanese kickboxer Tenshin Nasukawa, who he obliterated in a single round on December 31. Though the exhibition was far from an official contest, it sparked rumors he was considering a return to sport.
But his right-hand man Ellerbe squashed the rematch talk at Pacquiao’s post-fight press conference at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. “He’s retired and has no interest in doing that,” Ellerbe said.
A rematch could be worth hundreds of millions of dollars to both fighters, but Ellerbe said “it’s not always about the money.”
He added: “He doesn’t have the motivation, desire, he’s living his best life, travelling, running his multiple businesses, spending his earnings. He’ll be 42 in February and enough is enough.
“What good does it do to earn all that money if you can’t stick around and spend it. He’s broke all the records, he has nothing else to prove. I’m very happy for him.”
As for Pacquiao, Ellerbe said the former two-weight world champion Danny Garcia and the undefeated welterweight Keith Thurman “would be good fights for him.”
But it’s clear Pacquiao only wants one man — Mayweather. “My message is that I’m still active. I’m a champion. Come back to the ring and we can fight again if he wants.”